Artist's Soul

To be an artist, one must feel, to the point you feel to much.

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Victims of Time

It's funny. Quite funny. Yes, it is very funny how, back way, way then, I was once a victim of time. I used to hate it, that fact. But now, I don't know if I miss my old life or not. Is it better to be the victim of a swift murderer, or better to have to continuously watch the murderer kill, over, and over, and over again until the gruesome scene is forever a part of you?
You see, I once made a wish. That cliche kind of scene where someone wishes on a shooting star and everything comes true. Where they live a different life, but soon they miss their old life and they somehow reverse the wish. Yes, almost exactly like that. Except, I can't and won't go back.
My wish? To stop time. I was tired of running. I didn't want to go forward. I didn't want to keep getting chased by time. So, I made that wish. And here I am. Stuck forever at 14 years, 15 weeks, and 6 days old.
I watch others as they pass by, running, faster and faster, until the day that they grow too tired, and they start walking instead of running, letting time slowly swallow them. Victim by victim, they vanish. And I watch.
They all start off with a head start. They all do. Then, they start figuring things out. How they're getting chased by a psychotic, merciless murderer. That's when they start running. In the beginning, they are all running at the speed of light. After all, they still have plenty of stamina. But, sometime soon, they get bored of it all. The cycle. The never ending sequence. That's when they try everything they can to outwit their pursuer. But it never works. They always end up running again. After some more time, they give up on trying to outsmart their invincible opponent and just go with the flow. And, like I said, they eventually slow down and let themselves die.
It's sad, to say the least. The fact that, you have no choice but to surrender in the end. That's one of the main things I'm glad of, staying immortal in marble here. Sure, it may get boring and lonely sometimes, but overall, I think I'm happy to say I'm no longer a victim.
But that doesn't mean others aren't.
Because we are born to become victims. Only a few escape. And most of the time, the escape isn't pretty.
That's what I stand here for. The melancholic escapee of time. A monument to everyone, each and every Victim of Time.
I'm the marble statue, at the corner of 27th and Sayers Street.
And, ironically, you know what my pedestal says?
"Time flies, grasp it while you can."

No comments:

Post a Comment