Artist's Soul

To be an artist, one must feel, to the point you feel to much.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Reality's Turn

Hey, what's up! This is LaMusicFreak again, here for a short ramble of sorts.

Just a quick side-note before all this, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION! Please, please, please do not take it personally if you do not agree with my views! I do not wish to criticize or hurt anybody due to contradicting opinions!

So I was working on MIXED earlier, and my good friend, who was helping me by reviewing it, started talking to me about it, and she mentioned how she can really relate to two of the characters. Then we started talking more about this topic, and she told me how the five girls in the story seem a lot like many of our friends. We began grouping the various characteristics of the characters to the various characteristics of some of our friends, who we found could really be connected to the characters.

This got me thinking about the various books that had inspired me to write this story, and why that type of story intrigued me so much.

After some contemplation, I decided that it was because those stories were easy to relate to, to a degree.

For instance, most of the most popular books today such as The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson Series, and Divergent, are all based in fantasy realms, where the main character(s) all had amazing strengths, powers, and were all out heroes. Now, I'm definitely not saying those books aren't great! In fact, some of my favorite books are from The Hunger Games series and the Percy Jackson series.

It's just that, after reading all those stories for a while, I got tired of living in those amazing, magical worlds with those "perfectly imperfect" heroes. I'm sure that many, if not most of us have a wish to be some kind of hero or heroine. I know that, for quite a while as a child, I would constantly dream of being a hero in Percy Jackson's world, as a great demigod fighter. But those things just don't happen in this world (SORRY TO ALL THE BELIEVERS!). I just knew I would wake up one morning, facing the truth. I knew that I wouldn't suddenly get super powers, and suddenly find monsters to defeat, and gods and goddesses to impress. This is the real world, and in the real world, those things just don't happen.

Sure, there are heroes (Shout out to all the Firefighters, Police, Soldiers, Doctors, and Teachers!) but they don't have magical powers like those fictional characters. Plus, I eventually got a bit fed up with those perfect characters that always ended up doing the right thing and saving the world.

Then, I found books that were set in this world, reality. Sure, sometimes those stories got a bit ridiculous too, but they were still relatively relatable. Suddenly, I could find characters which went through the same troubles as me, and had to solve it the same way as me. I could find people who didn't exactly get a happy ending, but still made do with what they got. They were, to a point, real to me.

Of course, like I said at the start, this is just my opinion, and I'm just one person in billions. So I want to know, what's your views on this topic?

This has been LaMusicFreak, signing off!

No comments:

Post a Comment